Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Happy Birthday Granduncle Billy!

Last Sunday was granduncle Billy’s 70th birthday but we made a surprise birthday party with family and relatives the day before which is on Saturday. My mom, sis, and I overnight at my grandaunt’s place on Friday night itself. On Saturday morning, the aunties all went to market to buy food for the dinner even though it was raining. Their main dish for the night was a traditional recipe made by my greatgrandma when she was still here which is the nyonya birthday noodles. It was indeed a hell of a job (for me). The young victims were my cousin, Michi, my sis and I. It seems like it’s very easy but when you put your hands on it I think you will complain as much as me. The things that we need to do was basically


1. Pluck the taugeh’s tail away (My sis plucked so much away..waste only lar you)
2. Slice these onions =”( (My aunt said soaked it in ice water so the onions won’t sting your eyes and it really did help..only towards the last few my eyes started to form tears but thankfully it was only for awhile..mind me, the tears didn’t flow down :P)
3. Slice these chilli to make belacan (The tradition way where people use the ‘penumbuk’ (whatever you called that it English) instead of the blender)
4. Slice the pork into really thin slices and then cut into really small pieces (My sis did the slicing part and I did the cutting part, mind was an easier job :D)
5. Skin the prawns (Which was done by the aunties cause they say we do work so slow. LOL!!)
6. Slice these prawns into half (Damn! They gave us the harder job instead. The prawns had shrunk and it was another tiring work..Michi was the victim :P Oh! Notice the next picture? That’s the prawns SHIT..that’s what we called, don’t know if it’s really their shit..haha)
7. Take out the crab meat (This was the hardest among all for me. Michi was so tempted to eat them while digging their meat out and I said “I don’t tell you don’t tell who knows? Nobody looking. Faster put in your mouth lar” and she did it. Then she said “Very sweet lar”. I personally don’t favor crab much (I know you guys will be like “What?!?! How can you not like crab?” but yea, I don’t really like it) but when she say it was very sweet I thought “Maybe I shall just try a small piece” so I put in my mouth then my mom said from behind “Oi!” (you know what that means. LOL!). It was sweet but I still didn’t really like it)
8. Slice the omelette (No pic was taken for this cause my sis and I followed Michi to 1U with granduncle so that the rest at home had time to prepare all the tables and food at his place. For your info my 2nd grandaunt, 3rd grandaunt, and granduncle’s house is in a row side by side :D)

Anyway, when we were at 1U, we took him to Jusco. Michi asked him to pick a top and he said every year also he got new clothes but he don’t wear them and he still got lots of old clothes. Then I said throw the old ones away and wear the new ones lor. He shake his head. Then Michi suggested pants, he said no. Wallet? No. Socks? No. Keychain pouch? No. Then suddenly my sis had a great idea. She said “Then buy beer or wine la.” Great. Michi also agree with that. So we left the departmental store and headed to the wine section. Even in there he was just walking around and we girls don’t know much about wine so Michi called my other cousin, Brother Juen who drinks a lot and he just said the wine start with the letter “A” but can’t remember from which country. How leh? Then suddenly the promoter came over and asked which type of wine my granduncle prefer. I guess he saw the “Please help us to choose a nice wine with the letter “A” on our foreheads. LOL! He took us to a shelf nearby and indeed recommended a wine with the letter “A”. Then I told Michi maybe it’s this one. So she just got that for him.

Then we passed by McD and sis offered to buy ice cream for him. Apparently she bought the wrong one. He wanted the cornetto one but my sis ordered the McFlurry. The story behind this shall just be kept among the four of us lar. (Ar Yin, you so funny la. Actually, granduncle also la. Hahaha) Luckily it wasn’t too sweet for him. Not long after that Michi received a sms from her dad saying if we’re done we can go back already. So, the last stop was to take him to choose mooncake. He wanted the “kam tui” but they didn’t have because the promoter said non-halal one must order. They don’t put it on sale with the rest there so he just chose one which I forgot what the flavor was. Sis and I shared another mini mooncake (the mooncake is covered with pastry instead of the normal skin) and gave him a red packet cause we didn’t know what to buy for him. After buying the mooncake we left 1U and I helped Michi to sms her dad that we’re coming back already cause she was driving. He replied ok and that most people are here already. Kan cheong part coming.
*drums roll*


*

*

*

*

We finally reached his house. Then my granduncle said “oi?” and Michi said “Go down la. Reach already. You didn’t enter the wrong house” and my grandaunt and a few relatives inside said “Surprise!” Michi said she saw granduncle smiling and like got tears in his eyes. Aww!! That’s happy tears :D


At then it was dinner time. Among the foods served was of course our hardwork of nyonya noodles, curry chicken, nasi kunyit, red eggs, pork leg wine (direct translation from Cantonese :P), thai chicken (mom said it was spicy. If she said it’s spicy means its VERY spicy for me so I didn’t eat), yam cake, sea cucumber with mushrooms, satay, rojak, yong tau fu, 4 types of dodol, egg tarts, cream puff, watermelon, and pineapple. Not sure if I did missed out anyone. That’s what I can remember only.
At the end of the day was of course a birthday song followed by family pictures and pictures and pictures.

this is the Chocolate Banana Cake with Walnut topping made by Aunt Joanne. YUMMINESS! Anybody who's interested can make order through me :) She bake other cakes too. Her tiramisu with a lil' alcohol was the best I've tried so far. Last night just ate the American Chocolate cake she made for her friend's wedding. Awesome. The texture is so so soft and yummy, not too sweet.

Picture credits to Michi

No comments:

Daisypath

Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker